Make sure to check out our other blog about living in Siena Italy "Il Giorno Italiano Sogna" and Reed's professional culinary web site "Chef Reed Anderson." Enjoy!

7.24.2007

Panforte: A Siena Specialty

Panforte, a specialty of Siena, is a traditional Italian dessert containing dried fruits, spices, and nuts. It is very dense and rich. The word "panforte" literally means "strong bread" which refers to the spicy flavor.

Panforte has been made since at least 1205. According to historic documents, in the early 1200s, residents of the monestary of Montecellesi (today Montecelso) were required to bring the nuns the panaforte as a form of taxes. Panaforte's success soon crossed the boundaries of Siena and it became a staple at feasts of rich noble men throughout Italy.

Epicurious has a recipe for Panforte here.

7 comments:

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

You guys are headed to panforte heaven! I have 3 cakes in my cupboard from Siena right now!

Ashley said...

Neither of us have ever had panforte. It is definitely going to be exciting trying all the new food!

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

It's a perfect pick-me-up!

Ashley said...

I've heard it described as similar to fruit cake-is that true? I'm not the biggest fan of desserts-cheese, that is a different story!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

hi bros. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices seeking the boots are all over 180 pounds on every page. But completely I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good morning everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been digging for that meticulous model. The prices for the velcros are approximately 240 dollars everwhere. But finally I set this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order those. what can you say about it?